Monday, August 30, 2010

The Wonderful World of Soy!

My dd has a milk allergy. I need to keep both of the twins off of milk due to cross-contamination. My son can put a pacifier or toy in his mouth after drinking milk, and then my daughter can put it in her mouth - and voila. We've got transfered dairy. The slightest bit of milk is enough to cause a reaction in her. A kiss from me hours after I had a coffee, or a touch on a surface that might have seen a splash of milk, you get the picture.

Now that they are over a year old its really time to get them on a milk-substitute. I've tried Rice Dream, Rice Dream Vanilla, Soy Dream, Soy Dream Vanilla, Chocolate, etc. There's far too many companies that are making milk substitutes in all different sizes and flavors and its very confusing to the consumer. In addition, its pricy. Every time I 'try' a new version, I need to buy it. The kids take a sip and they decide they dont' like it. I keep trying.

The wonderful folks over at ZenSoy responded to my desperate plea via email and sent me a surprise package. I received a whole packet of money saving coupons, including those for a free product. In addition, they sent me some Vanilla Soy on the Go samples. Thank you!

I can't give a review on the actual products as I'm not the one eating it. And every kid has different tastes so its hard to say which one 'tastes better'. But I can tell you that my son took to the ZenSoy vanilla flavored soymilk rather quickly. He is now fully acclimated. I am so happy. Its one less thing to worry about. Packed with nutritious vitamins, protien, and calcium, this 'milk' should keep him going until he gets a bit older and is able to transition to real milk, without risking cross contamination.

Unfortunately, my daughter has not taken to it yet. I dont' know if I should find yet another company to try, or another flavor, or to just keep on pushing this one to make it simpler and easier on me.

I don't like allergies!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That must be quite a handful to have twins! I'm sure they are adorable too :-)
    I never thought of that challenge, that when one kid has an allergy everyone around them has to be careful not to uh, spread the wealth!
    Good luck with that and hope your kids cooperate and soon find the right type of milk to satisfy them and help them grow big and strong!

    ReplyDelete